Description of service
Steam turbine and generator rotors are the most critical components from the point of view of safety. For this reason they have to be inspected periodically by means of Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) methods, with a view to ensuring the highest levels of reliability.
The Boresonic inspection of rotor shafts consists of the volumetric inspection of the entire area of the bore or central drill-hole, along the length of the rotor. The system guarantees the detection and dimensioning of surface or internal indications of any orientation, axial or circumferential.
The systems displaces a header supporting the three types of techniques used:
- Visual, with permanent recording of the inspection and control of the image coordinates
- Eddy Currents for quick, clean and repetitive surface inspections, with permanent records, surpassing the magnetic particles technique.
- Ultrasonic, with probes oriented at different angles in order to guarantee the detection of any indication, regardless of its orientation.
Tecnatom also offers auxiliary services consisting of the unplugging, subsequent plugging and cleaning and preparation of the surface of the bore.
Equipment or technologies used
The inspection system includes the following elements:
- Axial movement system (Pusher support structure and set of pusher tubes).
- Inspection header centering support.
- Visual inspection header for colour TV camera
- UT and ET probe support header
SIROCO PC Controller
Data Acquisition System developed at Tecnatom: TEDDY, SUMIADIII or MIDAS.
Evaluation Software developed by Tecnatom: MASERA
In addition, Tecnatom offers Component Integrity Studies for the assessment of the indications positioned and dimensioned during the inspection.
The Boresonic system is configured for the inspection of bores with diameters of between 85 mm. and 300mm.
This service is completely independent of each OEM, and the methodologies, procedures and calculations used in the evaluations are based on international standards widely recognized throughout the industry.
More than 60 steam turbine and alternator rotors inspected.
Rotors of different technologies and manufacturers:
ACECA TPP (W)
ALCUDIA TPP (MHI)
ANLLARES TPP (MHI)
BAHIA ALGECIRAS TPP (W)
COMPOSTILLA TPP (MHI/W)
ESCATRÃ“N TPP (W)
GUARDO TPP (W)
LADA TPP (W)
LITORAL ALMERIA TPP (GE)
AS PONTES TPP (MHI)
RENTÃ‰ TPP (CUBA)
TERUEL TPP (MHI)
GENERAL TURBO (RUMANIA)
SOTO RIBERA TPP (GE)
JOSÃ‰ CABRERA NPP (W)